I get this question all the time, ” What can I do to get my son ready for Kindergarten?” Here are few things that would get him far in life.
* Teach him to sit and listen to stories so he can sit and listen to his teacher
* Teach him nursery rhymes and story songs because research shows that children who know at least 10 nursery rhymes have the phonemic awareness skills to help them be good readers
*Teach him to zip, button, snap and tie so he can gain independence necessary to be successful
* Tell him no, and follow through, so he will learn limits and respect
* Teach him to open a juice pouch, a chip bag, and a water bottle so he can learn to do things without adult assistance all the time
* Teach him to pick out his clothes, choose his snack, choose a book or game so he learns how to make choices later in life
*Teach him manners
* Teach him to color, cut, trace and draw to build the muscles in his little hand to help him be ready to write
* Let him fall down or mess up sometimes. He’ll learn to problem solve and will know that mistakes are our best teaching tools
*Then, after all that, teach him to write his name, count to 20, know his colors and shapes, and some letters and sounds.
*Teach him that you believe in him and show him how proud you are of all of his accomplishments.
* Teach him how to love and forgive even when he doesn’t feel like it.
* Teach him that you will always have time for him and that he is the most important person in your life.
* Teach him that life is like a game and you won’t always win and it’s never always fair.
* Teach him to be humble and giving and to never think of himself as better than anyone else.
* Teach him that choosing friends should not be about the color of your skin or the name brand shoes on your feet.
* Most importantly teach him that us teachers love him and will do anything in our power to help keep him safe and happy. If we didn’t we wouldn’t be here!
💚 Mrs. Jones